Students from Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield

Student Services

2022-23 Commonwealth University Student Handbook

Student Services

Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Prevention and Intervention Services focus on education and prevention to help you fully understand how a choice to use alcohol and other drugs can affect your health and safety, academic performance, legal standing, future career, and family.

We provide you with accurate and up-to-date information and implement evidence-based strategies for the reduction of illegal/dangerous drinking and drug use. We seek to emphasize the promotion of positive coping skills and health-enhancing behaviors. In conjunction with Health and Wellness, we empower you to make informed decisions, develop skills that enhance well-being, and pursue the lifelong benefits of maintaining a well-balanced lifestyle. In addition to general awareness and primary prevention programming, we work with other departments such as Student Conduct to address and assist students with identified concerns. 

Campus Stores are located on each of the three Commonwealth University campuses. Each is filled with academic support materials, convenience items, and merchandise for students and supporters who want to show their Husky, Bald Eagle, and Mountie pride.

Unlike online retailers, the campus stores are owned by students with proceeds directly supporting the University and its students. 


Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania partners with ARAMARK Food Service Management for contracted dining service on the Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield campuses. You have the ability to participate in the dining program with some required based upon on-campus housing assignments. If you’re living on campus, review your housing agreement to determine if participation in the dining program is required. 

Dining programs are designed with menu variety, flexibility, nutrition, and value as their foundation. Below are a few, of many, terms to understand to get the most out of campus dining. The links below provide additional explanation. Note, dining program details vary by campus location.

  • Meal Plans (types, usage, and reset terms)
  • FLEX (dining dollars that are built-in to provide maximum FLEXibility at dining locations) 
  • Cash and Meal Equivalency (they are two different things) 
  • Meal Zones 
  • Guest Meals 

Full review of dining websites, talking with friends, and simply experimenting and experiencing your on-campus food options will have you navigating the dining program like a pro. 

Below is a listing of websites where you’ll find additional details on the dining programs on each campus. All dining facilities are open to the public, so parents, siblings, and friends may join meal plan holders for meals. 



ID Cards 

As an enrolled student, you are issued a University ID Card. This card is personalized to you and is programmed to access buildings, areas, meal plans, and services open to you.

  • Bloomsburg Card Center -  
  • Lock Haven - The ID Office is open for any student Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm, and is located inside the University Store.  Students will need a valid photo ID to get their LHU ID.  No appointment necessary.
  • Mansfield One Card Office -

The Office of the Dean of Students works to assist off-campus and commuter students by providing information and resources and developing initiatives that enrich their university experience. The office provides specific commuter student meal plans, designated parking lots for commuter students, and, on some campuses, lounges, lockers, and vending machines. Commuter students will also be supported by a Commuter Student Organization (CSO), a group of peers driven by their mission of advocacy for commuter needs and creating community for the entire campus. 

For more information and campus-specific details, please visit:


The mission of Counseling Services is to provide accessible, equitable, and inclusive short-term mental health counseling to the Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield student community.  The Student Counseling Center strives to assist you in developing insight, personal growth, and resilience, through the exploration of barriers to personal and/or academic progress, development of psychological skills, and provision of psychoeducation, so that you can better achieve your personal, academic, and career goals.

In line with our mission, the Counseling Center provides psychological, personal, developmental, emotional, and academic/career counseling. Services may involve initial evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations; individual or group counseling; psychoeducation and outreach; crisis intervention; and other modalities as needed and appropriate. Also, referrals are offered for psychiatric services and mental health services not provided by the Counseling Center. Consultation to faculty, staff, administration, and parents may also be provided regarding student needs and wellbeing. Personal health information of students shall be strictly confidential unless there is an authorized release of information or in case of situations falling under parameters established by law (e.g., imminent danger to self or others).

The Student Counseling Center’s full range of services are available free of cost to any currently enrolled student in the semester in which the student is seeking services. Services are available in-person and via telehealth, with telehealth services available only to students residing in the state of Pennsylvania due to licensure requirements for the provider. 

For hours and information on making an appointment, check the website for the Counseling Center on each campus:  

Q: What is financial aid? 

Financial aid helps you and your family/supporters pay for college. Financial aid consists of “gift aid” and “self-help aid.” The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), as many aid programs use this as the basis in determining financial need. 

  • Gift Aid are funds awarded that do not have to be repaid, unless you fail to meet certain terms, such as a service requirement, specified as a condition of the grant. Gift aid includes awards with titles such as grants, scholarships, remissions, waivers, etc. Gift aid can be awarded based upon many factors, including (but not limited to) financial need; academic excellence; athletic, musical and/or theatrical talent; affiliation with various groups; or career aspirations. 
  • Self-Help Aid is financial aid in the form of loans or student employment. Loans are a part of financial aid that must be repaid. Loan debt is a serious financial obligation and loans should only be utilized after careful consideration by the borrower. Student employment earnings (including Federal Work Study) are generally not deducted from billed costs but can be used to help you cover indirect costs and are paid in the form of wages to students.

Additional information on the types of aid available can be found on our website at [URL]

 Q: When should I complete the FAFSA? 

The FAFSA opens every October 1 for the following academic year, and uses prior-prior year tax information. For example, the FAFSA opens on October 1, 2022 for the 2023-24 academic year and requires tax information from 2021. We recommend that you file the FAFSA as soon as possible. If you are a PA state resident, the deadline for the Pennsylvania State Grant is May 1.

 Q: Do I need to complete the FAFSA every year? 

Yes. Federal aid eligibility is determined on an annual basis so you must complete the FAFSA for each year you are enrolled. 

 Q: What happens if my parent’s income has changed or has been reduced since I filed the FAFSA? 

If at any time during the year your family has a major change in financial circumstances, be sure to contact the financial aid office. We will gather additional information from you to determine if you are eligible for a special circumstance review, which may result in increased aid eligibility. 

 Q: My FAFSA was selected for verification. What does that mean? 

Verification is a federally mandated process to confirm the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA. If selected, you, your parent(s), or spouse, if applicable, will be required to provide certain documents for our review, such as federal tax information, household size, number of students from your family in college, etc. If the documentation provided doesn’t match what was reported on the FAFSA, verification can result in changes to your financial aid eligibility. Any changes in aid eligibility will be communicated directly to you. 

 Q: How do I apply for Federal Direct Student Loans? 

Federal Direct student loans are federal aid and require a FAFSA. Your aid package will include federal loans, based on your eligibility. Before the loans can be applied to your account, you must accept your loans in the student self-service portal and complete direct loan entrance counseling and loan agreement (master promissory note) on You can accept the full amount of the loans offered to you or a partial amount. Repayment on these loans begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half time.

There are two types of federal direct student loans – subsidized and unsubsidized.

  • A subsidized loan is a need-based loan in which the government pays the interest on the loan while the student remains enrolled at least half time and during certain periods when the government allows deferment of repayment.
  • An unsubsidized loan is non-need based and interest accrual begins immediately. There are annual limits on the amounts that may be borrowed in direct loans, which vary by the student’s number of completed credits and dependency status. 

 Q: What is a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan? 

The Parent PLUS is a federal loan available to parents to borrow for their dependent, undergraduate student to help pay for educational expenses. It is based on a credit check with an interest rate predetermined by the federal government. It is important to note the parent is the borrower of the loan and is responsible for repayment of the loan. Parents can apply for a Parent PLUS loan on

 Q: What other loans are available? 

We encourage students to exhaust all other sources of funding, including federal direct student loans, before borrowing a private educational alternative loan. These loans are available through many lenders and students should carefully investigate these loan programs prior to borrowing.

To aid in your search, we have a historical list of lenders available on This is not an all-inclusive list and you are not in any way required to use any of the lenders listed. You may choose a lender that best meets your needs and requirements. We will not recommend lenders to you. 

 Q: What is the Cost of Attendance (COA)? 

COA is the estimated total cost of attending the institution for one academic year. COA includes direct costs (charges that a student/family pays directly to the University and typically include tuition, fees, room and board) and indirect costs (costs associated with your attendance but typically are not paid directly to the University, such as books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses).

The COA is used to determine the maximum amount of aid you can use in an academic year as well as your financial need. The COA is used for financial aid purposes and is not an actual bill or statement. 

 Q: What is Satisfactory Academic Progress? 

In order to continue receiving federal student aid, you must meet certain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. Essentially, you need to maintain a certain grade point average and complete at least 2/3 of your attempted credits. Our full SAP policy can be found online at [URL].

 Q: What happens if I drop a class or withdraw from the University? 

Dropping or withdrawing from a course or from the University may have implications for your current and future financial aid eligibility. We encourage you to contact the Financial Aid Office before making this decision. 

 Q: When will my financial aid be disbursed? 

Financial aid will be disbursed once the drop/add period has ended for the semester.

 For additional and most up-to-date information, visit our website at 


The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life advises Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania’s fraternity and sorority community on their recruitment and new member programs, service projects, community activities, scholarship support programs, and other related matters. In addition, the office encourages a shared governance model, working with governing councils in support of community-wide programs and initiatives.


Student Health Services (SHS) are offered on each campus and strive to meet the day-to-day health needs of all students. Each center offers a wide range of health services and is staffed by Nurses, Nurse Practitioners (CRNP), Physician Assistants (PA-C), and Medical Directors.    

Please click on the appropriate photo link below for your specific campus Student Health Service information.  

Bloomsburg Student Health Center   
324 Kehr Union

Glennon Student Health Service – Lock Haven   
Glennon Building  

Mansfield Campus Clinic (MU)  
Spruce Hall – Ground Floor  


Orientation is a way to welcome you, our new students, and your supporters to our campuses for an exciting and informative program. The orientation team collaborates with a variety of campus and community programs to promote a successful transition to our campuses by acclimating students and supporters with our academic and co-curricular services, resources for student success and achievement, and opportunities to connect with their peers, professors, and colleagues. Most importantly, orientation is designed to strengthen the student-supporter-University partnership.  

Find out more by visiting the resources for each campus: 


Parking on each campus is regulated and enforced by University police. All campus motorists are strongly encouraged to park in appropriate locations, obtain necessary permits, and follow posted rules to avoid almost certain parking citations and fines. Campus transportation is available to students at the Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield campuses.

Bloomsburg Campus - Transportation and Parking 

On-campus resources: 

Lock Haven Campus - Campus Transportation and Parking 

On-campus resources:

  • Parking Registration and Requirements (link)
  • Commuter Students (link)
  • Parking Tickets (link)
  • Bicycles (link)
  • Campus Transportation/Trolley Service (link)

 Mansfield Campus - Transportation and Parking 


On-Campus Living 

Living on campus is an important and exciting part of the college experience. Our residential communities are built to encourage academic success, create spaces inclusive of students’ intersecting identities, and foster both social and personal growth. Research suggests that students who live on campus are more satisfied with their college experience, earn better grades, and are more likely to graduate than their peers who live off campus[1].

Our on-campus residences are staffed with trained professional and student staff members who are available to provide services, support, and educational opportunities for you 24 hours a day. Each of our campus residences has a distinct culture and traditions, which contribute integrally to your development and supplement your academic experiences.

 On-Campus Residency Requirements 

To support your academic success, the Office of Residence Life and Housing has established a two-year residency requirement to be fulfilled in your first four semesters (fall/spring). The residency requirement also applies to readmitted students and transfer students who have not completed two years of on-campus residency at another university post-high school.  

 NOTE: Academic credit hours and/or class status do not exempt students from the policy. 

 The following exceptions to the residency requirement apply with verification: 

  • A student who is living with a parent or legal guardian at their permanent address within a 30-mile radius of their primary campus. 
  • A transfer student who has lived on campus for at least four (4) semesters at a previous institution. 
  • A student who is married. 
  • A student who is 21 years of age or older by the first day of classes in the fall semester. 
  • A student who is the parent or legal guardian of a dependent child. 
  • A student who served in the military and has been honorably discharged. 
  • A student who has an approved accommodation through the University to live off campus.
  • Transfer students who have attended another university and lived on-campus for 4 semesters and have earned 60 or more credits
  • Students who are officially withdrawing or transferring from the university
  • Students who are transferring to Commonwealth University's Lock Haven or Mansfield campus

The Executive Director of Residence Life or designee shall have the authority to review and make determinations pursuant to this policy and/or grant waivers in extenuating circumstances.  

 Residence Life Options 

 To learn more about on-campus housing options, please visit our websites here: 


Student Involvement  

Student Involvement is the place to learn about student organizations on campus, as well as a range of exciting opportunities to help you grow as an individual and develop your leadership skills. Student Involvement also takes a leadership role in organizing and sponsoring joint or individual projects across campus.

 You can engage in campus life through participation and involvement in campus activities and student organizations. All students have an opportunity to attend campus events and gain leadership skills through co-curricular and extra-curricular experiences. Becoming involved builds individual self-esteem and a sense of community – two important qualities that enhance your college experience. 


The Student Billing Office at Bloomsburg generates bills for each semester. These bills are posted to your student account as a .pdf file and an email is sent to your University email when the bill is available. You are responsible for forwarding the information to anyone who is assisting you with your bill (parent/supporter).

Charges on your student bill are generated because of registration, housing arrangements, meal plan contracts, and other University transactions, as applicable. Please note that if you make a change to your registration, meal plan, or housing after the initial bill has been issued, there may be a change to the amount due. You are strongly urged to view any changes to your student account online through the University portal.

Financial Aid awards which have been confirmed by the Financial Aid Office will also be displayed on your student bill. Each semester you must complete a Financial Terms and Conditions Agreement to release your pending financial aid. The Financial Terms and Conditions Agreement is available at

Payment instructions are included with each bill, and payment can be processed through the University portal.

Any bill not paid by the first day of the semester will be assessed a $75 late fee and you will have a financial hold placed on your account. The hold will prevent any registration changes or the releasing of transcripts and/or diplomas. 

 More information about billing, payment options, and policies for the Student Billing Office can be found at

 Refund Schedule 

If a student who has incurred charges must withdraw from the University, that student will be subject to the published refund schedule. Withdrawal, including a medical withdrawal, does not and should not imply forgiveness of financial obligations. The University’s refund schedule is available at

Frequently Asked Questions about Student Billing is available at

 Lock Haven

The Student Accounts Office generates bills for each semester. These bills will be mailed to your permanent address on file with the University. Charges on your student bill are generated because of registration, housing arrangements, meal plan contracts, and other University transactions, as applicable. Please note that if a student makes a change to his/her registration, meal plan, or housing after the initial bill has been issued, there will be a change to the amount due. Students are strongly urged to view any changes to their student account online through the MyHaven portal.

Financial Aid awards which have been confirmed by the Financial Aid Office will also be displayed on your student bill.

Payment instructions are included with each bill. Follow the instructions on the initial page to log in, then click on the “Student Accounts” tab then “My Student Account” on the left-hand side to view your account info, 1098 – T information, and to pay your student bill. To pay your student bill, click on the “Pay Bill or Add Flex” option on the left-hand side of the webpage.

Any bill not paid within a timely manner [AEJ(1] will be assessed a $50 late fee and you will have a financial hold placed on your account. The hold will prevent any registration changes or the releasing of transcripts and/or diplomas. 

 More information about billing and payment options can be found at: Information regarding policies for the Student Accounts Office can be found at the following:

 Refund Schedule 

If a student who has incurred charges must withdraw from the University, that student will be subject to the published refund schedule. Withdrawal, including a medical withdrawal, does not and should not imply forgiveness of financial obligations. The University’s refund schedule is available at

Frequently Asked Questions about Student Accounts are available on MyHaven at


The Student Accounts Office bills separately for each semester. The bill is posted to Student Self-Service under Account Activity, and a .pdf of the bill is also available from this page. Any subsequent changes to your courses, housing and dining, and financial aid are automatically updated in real time on Self-Service. Therefore, Student Self-Service is always up to date. 

For information on payments and credits, important semester dates, tuition rates, refund information, and more, visit the Student Accounts Office weblink: Click on Student Accounts in the red banner for a drop-down list of several topics. Student Accounts can be contacted at 570-662-4888 or or in person at 224 South Hall. 

Refund Schedule 

If a student who has incurred charges must withdraw from the University, that student will be subject to the published refund schedule. Withdrawal, including a medical withdrawal, does not and should not imply forgiveness of financial obligations. The University’s refund schedule is available at


Campus Recreation

The mission of the Campus Recreation Department is to provide and deliver recreational experiences that enhance the growth and well-being of our students and community through programs, facilities, services, and employment. Campus Recreation has a number of programs including fitness, intramurals, outdoor recreation, club sports, informal recreation, and allows for friendly competition, fitness training, and sports for all members of the University community.

Campus Recreation provides a diverse and intentional recreational program in a safe, inclusive, and accessible environment, which enhances the social, mental, and physical well-being of our University communities. We are dedicated to programs, services, and facilities through our commitment to education, outreach, and collaboration.

Intramural Sports

Intramural sports provide you an opportunity to participate in team and individual competition. Intramurals offer divisional play for men, women, and co-recreational teams in a variety of sports, regardless of ability. With multiple leagues, tournaments, and one-day special events offered, there are a variety of attractive activities for every interest. For more information on intramural offerings, please select the campus location from the links below:

Group Fitness

Campus Recreation provides a variety of group fitness classes across campuses. The hours vary throughout the day and evening depending on instructor availability. There is no additional fee for participation in our group fitness programs; however, limited spots are available in each studio and participation is on a first-come, first-served basis unless registration is announced. Class schedules are announced for the campuses through social media, campus email, and flyers. We recommend wearing comfortable workout clothes and bringing water to all classes. For more information, please select the campus location from the links below:

Club Sports

Club Sports is comprised of student organizations focused on a particular sport, bridging the gap between intramural sports and intercollegiate athletics. Club Sports give you an opportunity to participate in competitive sports activities, learn new skills, improve skill levels, and enjoy the recreational and social fellowship derived from sports involvement.

All clubs practice regularly in order to promote and develop the skills and interests of their members. The clubs are organized and administered by students with the officers providing the organizational leadership for their club’s activities. The clubs are encouraged to be self-supporting; with campus recreation and student governments providing limited financial support, facility usage, and guidance. For more information about club sports, please select the campus location from the links below:

Outdoor Recreation

Outdoor recreation at each campus has unique opportunities for exploration in the great outdoors, providing the opportunity to connect with nature, both on and off campus through a variety of activities. These programs are designed for all experience levels, from never having stepped onto a trail, to those seasoned in the backcountry. Opportunities and experiences vary between campuses and are unique to our specific locations. To learn more about how you can get involved, please select the campus location from the links below:

Rock Climbing Wall

Rock climbing on our indoor climbing walls is challenging, fun, and also provides a great alternative form of exercise. Each wall has climbing routes to meet the needs of everyone’s skill level. Knowledgeable staff members will guide you in a fun and safe environment. Climbing equipment is provided for participants and each wall offers bouldering, top roping, and lead climbing opportunities. For more information about indoor climbing, please select the campus location from the links below:

Informal Recreation

Informal recreation activities are available each day in our campus Recreation Centers. Informal activities include playing basketball, volleyball, soccer, and a variety of racquet sports. Equipment is available for checkout at the information desk. Each facility also has a variety of cardio equipment that includes treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, upright bikes and recumbent bikes, as well as a full line of selectorized [AEJ(1] [DAB(2] strength equipment and free weights for personal fitness. For more information please select the campus location from the links below:


Aquatic and pool operations are managed by the Athletics Department at each campus location. For more information about open swim times, swimming programs, and operations, please select the campus location from the links below:

Student Employment Opportunities

Campus Recreation provides student employment opportunities each semester. Positions vary at each campus location, but typically include: Fitness Assistants, Intramural Referees, Intramural Scorekeepers, Climbing Wall Assistants, Outdoor Leadership Instructors, Summer Camp Counselors, and Group Fitness Instructors. Candidates interested in Campus Recreation employment should possess a strong interest in fitness and recreational activities. For more information on employment opportunities, please select the campus location from the links below:

Our strategy is to protect life and property, and to enhance and promote safety across the University through collaboration, pro-active problem solving, open communications, and the delivery of professional police services. The University Police Department philosophy of community policing embodies the importance of cooperation, education, and police-citizen partnerships. We equally believe every member of the University community has a shared responsibility in their safety and reporting suspicious activity. 

Our goals are: 

  • Protect, Prevent, and Educate 
  • Make the University the safest place to live, work, and visit 
  • Provide responsive, courteous, caring, and dedicated police protection 
  • Promote peaceful resolution of community conflicts as primary intervention 



The functions of the University Police are the preservation of the public order, protection of persons and property, enforcement of the laws of the state of Pennsylvania, and the safeguarding of the individual and collective rights of the citizenry. The department utilizes a proactive concept of policing to accomplish its public safety responsibilities. 

Live Well. Learn Well.  

Health promotion and wellbeing initiatives include educational programs, preventative services, and fun events to help you adopt healthy behaviors and live a healthy life. We know healthy students are successful students, so we work with partners across our campuses to promote healthy choices — spreading the word and making sure you are aware of healthy alternatives for food choices, active lifestyles, and fun activities.  

More info at:  


illustration of Carver Hall