2-Year Residency Requirement

All full-time undergraduate students are required by Commonwealth University to live in University housing for their first four semesters (not including summer and winter sessions) with the following general exceptions. The residency requirement also applies to readmitted students and transfer students who have not completed two years of on-campus residency at another university post-high school.

  • Students who reside with their parent or legal guardian within 30 miles of their primary campus
  • Married students
  • Students who are 21 years of age or older by before the first day of classes for the fall semester
  • Students who are the parent or legal guardian of dependent child
  • Transfer students who have attended another university and lived on-campus for 4 semesters and have earned 60 or more credits
  • Students who have received a general discharge under honorable conditions from U.S. Military service
  • Students whose recommended accommodation from University Disability Services supports living off campus
  • Students who are officially withdrawing or transferring from the university
  • Students who are transferring to a different Commonwealth University campus — Bloomsburg, Lock Haven or Mansfield

Students who meet one of these exceptions must submit a Housing Exemption Request form to request an exemption. You will not be exempt unless you receive an approval notice from the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

As part of the 2-year residency requirement, you will complete a new housing agreement for the following year and will have the opportunity to select your specific housing location during the housing selection process.

With the success of our students at the forefront of this decision, the plan is rooted in data relating to student success, access to support services, and offers a transition and more healthy pathway toward life after college.