Satisfactory Academic Progress

To continue receiving federal financial aid as a student at Commonwealth University, you need to maintain a certain grade point average (GPA) and be on track to complete enough classes to successfully complete your degree/certificate program in the required timeframe established here at the university.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy includes:

  • Undergraduate students must have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average by the end of their second academic year.
  • Graduate/Doctoral students must have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the end of each academic year.
  • Successfully complete 2/3 of all credits attempted.  This is also cumulative.
  • An incomplete grade, a failing grade, or withdrawal from a course will count as zero credits earned.
  • A student will remain eligible for federal aid for up to 150% total attempted credits.
    • All credits transferred to the university and attempted credits will count towards the maximum time frame requirement for satisfactory academic progress.
    • Undergraduate - Maximum time frame is 180 credits
    • Graduate/Doctoral - Maximum time frame will vary by degree completion requirements.  The maximum standard will be set at 150 percent of the minimum number of credits needed to complete the graduate degree.
  • Course repeat grades will only be counted toward the minimum satisfactory progress if credits were actually earned.
    • A repeat of any passing grade will not be counted as credits earned in two different semesters.  However, it will be counted as credits attempted for each session in which the course was taken.
    • Credit will only be awarded during the semester in which the grade was first earned.
    • Federal regulations will permit payment of federal aid for only the first repeat of a previously passed course.
  • Students enrolled in a non-degree program must also meet the SAP standards to obtain financial aid in subsequent semesters.
  • Progress is reviewed after every spring semester.
    • If you fail to make SAP, you will lose financial aid until you are able to maintain satisfactory progress again.
    • If you have not made SAP and have experienced an exceptional situation in your life that may be a contributing factor, you may appeal.


To file an appeal, log into our secure portal at  You must complete the appeal form and upload supporting documentation.  If the appeal is granted, additional probationary aid and requirements will be established.  If approved, progress will be reviewed in the terms of the academic plan.  If progress is not re-established after the review, additional appeals will NOT be considered unless it is due to HIGHLY unusual circumstances.