Accounting Students in a classroom

Visiting or Non-Degree Students

Whether you're just joining Commonwealth University for one semester or this is a jump start on a future program, we're glad to have you!

  1. Determine Your Student Type

    Visiting Students

    Visiting students are enrolled at another college or university and would like to complete coursework at Commonwealth U for transfer back to their home institutions.
    Requirements: A completed application for non-degree admission and official college transcript. Students should ensure coursework pursued at CU would satisfy course requirements at their home institution prior to enrolling.

    Adults Students (without a degree)

    Adults students have not earned a bachelor's degree and desire to enroll part-time, because they're not ready or eligible to apply to be degree students.
    Requirements: Completed application for non-degree admission, official high school transcripts, or copy of GED scores. Students may take up to seven credits per semester.

    Global Exchange Students

    Global Exchange Students are students from global partner institutions, wishing to enroll as non-degree students at Commonwealth University (J1 students coming for one to two semesters).

    Senior Citizens

    Senior citizens who are retired, over 60 years of age, legal citizens of the U.S., and residing in Pennsylvania are eligible to apply for a tuition waiver through the Extended Programs. Students may be admitted to classes on a seat available basis only.
    Requirements: Proof of age, retirement, United States residency, and a completed application for non-degree admission. Must submit evidence of high school graduation or GED completion prior to enrolling for a second semester or session.

    Students with Bachelor's Degrees

    Students with bachelor's degrees who desire to take undergraduate courses at Commonwealth U.
    Requirements: Completed application for non-degree admission, official college transcripts

    Students with Academic Deficiencies

    Students who desire to pursue a program of academic recovery to qualify for undergraduate degree admission.
    Requirements: Completed application for non-degree admission, official high school transcript, and official college transcript.

    Students Seeking Teacher Certification

    Teacher certification candidates may apply to become certified to teach in Pennsylvania or other states through the College of Education. The teacher certification coordinator coordinates the PA application process and assists, as needed, with out-of-state forms requiring signatures. There are 10 programs offered for Instructional Level I certification.

    Are you looking to take courses while still in high school?

    Get a head-start on your college career through Commonwealth University’s Early College program at Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, and Mansfield. Courses may be taken on campus, online, or through Mansfield’s approved districts as concurrent enrollment in a secondary environment.


  2. Search for Courses

    Search for the courses you'd like to take or contact our academic advising office directly to help you find something appropriate.

    Students enrolling in courses as a "Visiting Student" should ensure coursework pursued through Commonwealth University satisfy course requirements at their home institution prior to enrolling. 


    Tuition & Fees

    For more information on tuition & fee structure for non-degree students, please see the Student Billing Office.


  3. Apply

    • Submit your online application.
    • Start your application by creating a new account. Select “Non-Degree Applicant” when prompted.
    • You will be asked to select your "Student Type" from step 1 within the application.


    No Application Fee!

    Good news, we do not charge an application fee for non-degree students. Your $35 fee will be automatically waived once your application is submitted. 

  4. Submit Transcripts

    If you have attended another college or university since leaving one of the Commonwealth University campuses - Bloomsburg, Lock Haven, Mansfield or Clearfield - send us an official transcript so you can receive credit for your work.

    Official transcripts may be emailed to or mailed to the Office of Admissions.